Meeting and Workshop with Dr. Leo Sharashkin
October 14 – 15, 2017
Memorial Hall, 10 The Green, Bethlehem, CT 06751
Free for CBA members. A non refundable fee of $25.00 per person for non members for one OR both days.
Dr. Leo Sharashkin is editor of “Keeping Bees With a Smile”, a comprehensive resource on keeping bees naturally in horizontal hives. He is a regular contributor to American Bee Journal, Bee Culture, The Beekeepers Quarterly (UK), and other major publications, and speaks internationally on sustainable beekeeping and organic growing. He holds a PhD in Forestry from the University of Missouri and a Master’s in Natural Resources from Indiana University. Author of world-renowned research in sustainable agriculture, he lives with his wife and four children on a forest homestead in the Ozarks in southern Missouri where they catch feral survivor-stock swarms and raise bees in forty low-maintenance, easy-to-build horizontal hives. His website (with free plans and advice) is www.HorizontalHive.com.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2017
Regular meeting of the Connecticut Beekeepers Association. Time 9 am to 4 pm.
- Morning Lecture: “Natural Beekeeping that Works”
- Potluck Lunch – bring a dish to share
- Afternoon Lecture: “Selling Honey for $20/lb: Creating and Marketing a Premium Product”
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2017
All day workshop. Time 9 am to 5 pm.
- Morning Lectures:
- “Local Bees: The Foundation of Natural Beekeeping.” (Including a detailed discussion of attracting honeybee swarms using bait hives.)
- “Horizontal Hives and their Advantages”
- Lunch – bring your own
- Afternoon Lectures:
- “Horizontal and Vertical Hives: Management Choices and How They Affect the Bees… and the Beekeeper”
- “Not By Clover Alone: Preserving and Enhancing Nectar-Plant Resources”
- Questions and answers